Shovel & Thumb Sprinklers is a business division of licensed technicians operating within Vancouver, WA. We are your reliable source for irrigation system repairs, maintenance, upgrades, and installations. Call us to schedule an appointment!
Battle Ground Sprinkler Repair
Common Signs of Faulty Sprinklers
Patchy Lawn – The telltale sign of an irrigation system failure is dry grass or patches of brown grass. If you have areas of lawn that are dry, brown or even discolored, it is a symptom of being watered poorly. There is a simple trick to maintaining a lush green landscaping. All you need is a timer. Adjust the timer to come on every day at different times, and within a short amount of time, your entire yard should be lush green if it is not too hot outside.
High Water Bill – If you have a water bill that seems higher than it should be, the first thing to do is check for leaks. The problem with irrigation leaks is they are often hard to find. There are some signs of them, but many people cannot recognize them or do not bother looking for them. Leaks are almost always caused by worn parts, bad installations, components that need adjusting, or some other issue.
Sputtering Heads – Every sprinkler head is equipped with a small nozzle that allows water to be expelled. The design of the inside of the nozzle is such that as water passes through it, air is pulled into the stream of water. This air then exits the sprinkler as part of the spray. When a sprinkler head has begun to sputter, it no longer sprays evenly. Some areas of the lawn will be covered by water and others not, resulting in poor plant growth.
Irrigation Repair in Battle Ground, WA
01. Assessment – Irrigation system assessment is not often something that homeowners do on their own. And while you may be able to spot some issues, like a head that is malfunctioning or not spraying water, you may not know if your system needs to be updated or repaired. Having an irrigation system assessment completed by one of our professionals will give you an idea of what is wrong with your equipment and if repairs are needed.
02. Repair – Irrigation repair is very complicated and can be a daunting task to those with little experience. However, our irrigation experts understand these intricate systems, they have the extensive knowledge to repair them quickly and easily. Your system may need a minor adjustment or a major overhaul. Even if your equipment is more than 20 years old, our irrigation specialists can help you save water and money.
03. Maintenance – Proper irrigation saves water, reduces utility bills and maintains a beautiful landscape. To keep your sprinkler system installation running efficiently and prevent damage to the landscape, it is essential that you conduct regular maintenance on the equipment. Some systems employ hardware that automatically attempts to determine when a specific component needs servicing. Other systems do not have this hardware installed and must be manually tested.
Sprinkler Maintenance Tips
Winterization – If you have a sprinkler system, it is probably made up of PVC pipes. When temperatures drop below freezing levels, those pipes can freeze, leading to potentially hundredths of dollars in repairs. At the end of the fall or beginning of winter months, we recommend that property owners do an irrigation system blow out to avoid damage during the upcoming cold season. Being prepared for the winter can save you lots of effort, money, stress and time!
Spring Start-up – A comprehensive start-up is required after the system has been shut down for several months. This is to ensure the maximum protection of the equipment during the upcoming growing season. Sprinkler start-ups should occur before the lawn starts growing. The purpose of this start-up is to establish a good foundation for the warm season and to correct any possible problems with the device.
Backflow Testing – The backflow check is a safety device installed at the outlet of an irrigation system. It prevents water from flowing backwards through the pipe and contaminating the drinking water supply. The principal for its operation is similar to a one-way valve, the design uses a mechanism which allows water to flow in only one direction.
Call Our Qualified Technicians
Most individuals lack the proper knowledge to adequately install, modify, or repair an irrigation system. As such, they end up making common mistakes that deteriorate the overall functionality of the unit. Do not let that happen to you. Instead, take advantage of our services.
- Fix damaged parts to restore the efficiency of the system
- Protect the irrigation device from freezing temperatures
- Reactivate the equipment once the growing season begins
- Automate labor and reduce water bills with upgrades
- Reroute or cap any existing line of the irrigation unit
- Install a custom spray sprinkler or drip irrigation device